WMF Job Description: Accountant
The primary purpose of this role is to manage the day-to-day financial activities of the Foundation, including book-keeping, vendor management, budget reporting, and preparation of financial statements. This position reports to the Chief Financial and Operating Officer.
Under the direction of the Chief Financial and Operating Officer, performs professional accounting work, including journalizing transactions, analyzing and verifying fiscal records and reports, preparing financial and statistical reports, reconciling general ledger accounts, budget management, and the preparation of the year-end audit reports and schedules.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger and subsidiary accounts; prepares monthly financial statements, including quarterly reports to the Board of Directors.
- Undertakes budget monitoring activities; prepares and distributed monthly budget reports to various departments on a monthly basis; assist with budget revisions and preparation of the annual budget;
- Analyzes and reconciles expenditure and revenue accounts including any investment amounts;
- Verifies wire transfers, online bank transfers, prepares check payments for signature, and reconciles bank statements on a monthly basis;
- Monitors and appropriately classifies donation revenue, accounts for restrictions appropriately, and manages the tax receipting process;
- Manages various cash flows within and outside the fundraising period, and plan for reserves accordingly;
- Invoices management for donations receivable, as well as for vendor payments;
- Assists in preparing travel and expense reimbursement forms for staff and board as required;
- Maintains appropriate documentation and files as support for all transactions;
- Oversees payroll process, including staff remuneration changes as well as withholding taxes;
- Prepares annual financial statements and audit schedules for external auditors and act as a liaison between the Foundation and auditors;
- Other duties as required.
- Required Qualifications
- Understanding of, and sympathy with, the mission and goals of the Wikimedia Foundation;
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, economics or a related field combined with work experience in a non-profit environment, or an accounting designation with relevant work experience;
- Minimum of 5 years’ working experience in an accounting capacity;
- Knowledge of Generally accepted accounting practices and principles;
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting practices and principles would be an asset;
- Highly proficient with QuickBooks Accounting Software and experienced with, or willing to learn, its open-source equivalents;
- Highly proficient with office software packages, e.g., NeoOffice;
- Comfortable working with new technology and systems;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent multi-tasking abilities;
- High level of discretion required when dealing in confidential matters;
- The ability to speak multiple languages is a major plus;
- Experience living or working outside the United States is a major plus;
- You must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.