Code Maintenance Engineer [CLOSED]
Chief Technical Officer
The core purpose of this job is to review and resolve bug reports, enhancement requests, code changes and extensions relevant to Wikimedia's free education projects, and to implement systematic testing procedures. This is a very hands-on role for an experienced software engineer who is interested in achieving high impact in a fast-paced environment with a public benefit mission.
- Review and assess bug reports and enhancement requests, close reports where possible, or find an appropriate assignee
- Review code changes made to MediaWiki by volunteer contributors, and resolve quality issues or revert changes
- Take initiative to refine and integrate volunteer-created priority projects (extensions, scripts, Toolserver developments, etc.)
- Generally support the deployment process for significant changes to the software and operations infrastructure
- Implement test suites to automate testing, and recruit volunteers to support the QA process where possible
- Create systems that effectively measure the operational impact of changes relative to load, traffic, memory consumption and others as needed
- 5+ years experience with web application development, including deep experience with PHP/MySQL development
- Experience diagnosing, reporting, tracking and resolving software quality issues
- Experience specifically with best practices in secure and scalable web application development
- Experience with MediaWiki and Bugzilla a major plus
- Experience dealing with user-submitted bug reports and feature requests is a major plus
- Ability to develop automated custom QA solutions without relying on commercial software packages
- Linux/Unix shell, Python, Java, etc. experience welcome
- Any other free/open software development experience highly welcome
- You must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments is a plus.
- Understanding of the free culture movement is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will be creative, highly motivated, and able to operate effectively in multiple cultural contexts.
The salary is in the range of $85,000 to $95,000, commensurate with experience, plus benefits.