Communications Intern [CLOSED]
The Wikimedia Foundation, the organization that supports Wikipedia, is currently seeking a student or recent graduate for a communications internship for the Fall semester beginning immediately with potential to extend though the academic year. The communications intern will be expected to provide a minimum of 20 hours/week to support the Communications team, as well as other Wikimedia Foundation staff in the overall execution of the Foundation's public relations and communications strategy.
Interns at the Wikimedia Foundation will be exposed to an exceptionally dynamic, mission-oriented environment. With a staff of about 213, the Foundation operates and maintains Wikipedia and eight other free knowledge projects and educational programs. The Foundation is an international leader in the promotion and expansion of “free knowledge” - a mission which has defined the success and reach of Wikipedia since its inception in 2001.
Interns will be immersed in an international media relations, issues management and internal communications environment. Interns will gain unique skills in social media, massive publicly collaborated web projects, research, and writing for global audiences, and will meet and interact with pioneers in the Web 2.0 movement.
Remotely and in Wikimedia's San Francisco offices, the communications intern will:
- Track and analyze international Wikimedia media exposure, including development of a web/print clips archive.
- Assist in the development of systems to manage incoming data, including user stories, supporting quotes, and best practices.
- Update and improve the Wikimedia stakeholders database.
- Update the Foundation wiki, including our press and staff pages as well as other major changes to the public relations support wikis.
- Research prospective media or speaking opportunities.
- Support the Foundation or volunteers at public events.
- Review and direct incoming media and public requests to the appropriate parties.
- Respond to public inquiries as required.
- Create draft press releases, community announcements, blog posts.
- Support creative services contractors as needed.
- Current or newly graduated student at a college or university.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills are a must.
- Experience working with or as part of large volunteer communities is a major plus.
- Experience editing with or using wiki-based software, or strong willingness to learn.
- Comfort with a wide variety of communications tools is a must: for example, mailing lists, IRC, instant messaging.
- Interest in Wikimedia and its free knowledge mission.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Web applications, experience with design software a plus).
- Must be able to work well with people with a very wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics.
- Must flourish in an environment that is highly transparent and collaborative.
- Ability to commute to Wikimedia offices in downtown San Francisco several days per week.
- Pluses: familiarity with AP Style, experience editing on wikis, basic knowledge of marketing and design.
This is an unpaid internship. School credit may be available.