WMF Job Description: Head of Development
Head of Development, Wikimedia Foundation [CLOSED]
As head of development, your job is to develop and execute a fundraising strategy for the Wikimedia Foundation in the context of its overall mission, vision, values and goals. This position reports to the Chief Financial and Operating Officer.
This position will develop and execute a fundraising strategy for the Wikimedia Foundation in the context of its overall mission, vision, values and goals. This is a critical role: 96% of the Foundation’s revenue is derived from individual donations. The role will include a mix of major donor cultivation and online fundraising, as well as other fundraising initiatives.
- Develop and execute a fundraising strategy to ensure financial sustainability for the Foundation;
- Identify and cultivate major donors (100K+);
- Manage projects such as the annual online fundraiser and special donor events;
- Develop new initiatives such as donations-by-SMS, donations-on-Facebook, etc.;
- Explore other sources of funds such as foundations, grants development, etc.;
- Develop and maintain a database of donors and prospective donors;
- Develop and manage a responsive and effective donor communications program including query response, appeal and acknowledgement letters;
- Achieve annual financial targets, as established during the budgeting process.
- Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred;
- 7+ years of non-profit fundraising experience, preferably in a well-known organization that is active internationally;
- Experience creating and executing strategic plans, staging special events, and measuring project success;
- Good knowledge of donor pools, trends in giving and the process of foundation, corporation and individual prospect research, cultivation and solicitation;
- Basic understanding of tax, financial and estate planning issues;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills including the ability to persuade, motivate and negotiate with a diverse array of people, both verbally and in writing;
- Technology literate; comfortable and proficient using a wide variety of communications and networking tools (e.g., mailing lists, IM, IRC, wikis, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.);
- The ability to speak multiple languages is a major plus;
- Experience living or working outside the United States is a major plus.