Technical Product Analyst [CLOSED]
Director of Product Development
As a Technical Product Analyst, you will work side by side with the development team to build Wikipedia’s next generation editor, the tool thousands use to write Wikipedia articles. Today, editing Wikipedia is a daunting task as it requires the would-be contributor to learn a programming language known as wiki markup. Your goal is to help increase the number of people who will contribute to the sum of human knowledge by being part of the team that is building an editor that anyone can use.
- Lead the definition and prioritization of product requirements for Wikipedia’s upcoming rich text editor for writing Wikipedia articles.
- Manage product backlog as part of software development process. Translate user stories into technical requirements.
- Help evaluate different technical approaches to fulfilling business requirements. Work with development team to ensure appropriate balance between short term and long term technical considerations.
- Conduct research to help the development team understand key editing use cases, including how editors use other software (e.g., client software) to complete their editing tasks.
- Incorporate feedback from the editing community into product backlog.
- B.S. or above in computer science.
- 3+ years as a software engineer for large-scale web applications.
- Experience in the Wikipedia community or working with online volunteer communities is a major plus.
- Familiarity with MediaWiki parser or other Wikitext parsers a major plus.
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source.
- Creativity, attention to detail, high degree of motivation, and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are major assets.
- You must be comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
- Good sense of humor always a major plus.
Please include a cover letter to your application. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Local San Francisco, CA candidates are preferred though remote candidates may be considered.