WMF Job Description: Chief Financial and Operating Officer
Chief Financial and Operating Officer [CLOSED]
The primary purpose of this role is to oversee the financial and operational activities of the Wikimedia Foundation. This involves ensuring that the Foundation operates smoothly, effectively, and in compliance with 501(c) standards and generally-accepted accounting principles.
This position is responsible for the overall administration and business operations of the Wikimedia Foundation. Areas of responsibility include financial management and all administrative responsibilities.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the Foundation, ensuring operations are in sync with strategy. Take a leadership role in the establishment of performance indicators, and monitoring of performance against goals.
- Develop and administer operational and administrative policies, standards and practices.
- Develop and administer financial systems and effective internal controls including budget setting and tracking, expenditure approvals processes, record-keeping and reporting, and the preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements. Assure safeguarding of assets. Lead capital planning and budgetary activities. Ensure preparation for quarterly financial audit. Review all receipts and disbursements.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements for Board Review, and oversee annual audit.
- Manage cash flow projections for the Foundation, and advise Executive Director as to appropriate reserves and spending plans
- Complete quarterly and annual tax filings, as required. Understand and ensure adherence to IRS regulations surrounding non-profit organizations and income classification.
- Develop and administer revenue generation activities, including fundraising, business development and grants applications. Prepare revenue projections and monitor against targets.
- Work with legal counsel to review contracts, and provide guidance from a financial and operational perspective.
- Supervise day-to-day operational activities, including facilities management, administrative areas (banking, vendors, etc.), as well as general staffing needs.
- Develop and administer personnel-related policies and practices. Take a lead role in the development of staff performance objectives and in the evaluation of performance against organizational goals. Provide coaching and counseling where necessary. Foster a staff culture that supports the Foundation’s strategy.
- Ensure compliance with any and all requirements for funders and regulatory bodies.
- Lead internal communications efforts through active communications to all staff including meetings, announcements, reports and bulletins.
- Provide assistance and information for the Board of Trustees as requested.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to the Executive Director in all areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of, and sympathy with, the mission and goals of the Wikimedia Foundation;
- Professional financial certification (e.g., CPA);
- Understanding of and experience with 501(c) filing practices, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, bookkeeping and financial management requirements;
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant laws, regulations, codes, guidelines and administrative best practices related to non-profit management;
- Solid understanding of fundraising, business development, grant applications and other development activities. Experience negotiating contracts and preparing funding proposals;
- Minimum of 12 years increasingly-responsible administrative/operational positions, including at least five in a senior management role with multiple direct reports;
- Experience working in a non-profit environment, or serving on a Board of Directors of a non-profit organization would be an asset;
- Strong personal integrity and a collaborative style; capable of building and sustaining productive, effective working relationships;
- The ability to speak multiple languages is a major plus;
- Experience living or working outside the United States is a major plus;
- You must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.