Software Developer [CLOSED]
Director of Features
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop new and enhance existing reading and editing features for Wikimedia sites.
- Develop MediaWiki core software to support both editor and contribution growth.
- Work on a variety of projects including user-facing feature, support systems such as fundraising, survey tools, etc., depending on priority
- Help improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various affected system components.
- Participate in and conduct design and code reviews.
- Support testing efforts for feature deployments of features.
- Participate in periodic technology meetings for design, development and testing of editing features.
- 5+ years of experience building web applications.
- 5+ years experience with user interface application development, testing and production deployment.
- Significant development experience in server-side technologies such as C/C++ and/or Java.
- Experience working on cross-browser platforms.
- Extensive experience building large-scale server applications.
- Knowledge developing and debugging in Linux/Unix (LAMP) environments.
- Experience with cross-browser compatibility testing.
- Experience with MediaWiki and other open source PHP-based content management systems is a major plus.
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, compilers, distributed systems, or server architectures.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Extreme Programming (XP).
- Experience in the Wikipedia community a major plus.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Experience contributing to a major open source project.
- Knowledge of UI frameworks such as XUL, Flex, and XAML a plus.
- Understanding of free culture/free software/open source.
- Experience working with online volunteers.
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments.
- Good sense of humor always a major plus.
- Being creative, highly motivated, hard-working and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are great assets.
- You must be comfortable working in an open, highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
Please provide URLs to any existing open source software work you may have done (your own software or patches to other packages) if possible. We'd love to see what you can do! Provide us your technical blog URLs if any. And let us know why this position interests you.
Please include a cover letter to your application. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Local San Francisco, CA candidates are preferred though remote candidates may be considered.