I use the scientific method to explore the underlying patterns of wiki-work, to discover problems and to design new tools for readers, editors and community organizers. See The Rise and Decline for an example of my research and Snuggle for an example of a tool for Wikipedians that I'm actively developing.
Disclaimer: Although I work for the Wikimedia Foundation, contributions under this account do not necessarily represent the actions or views of the Foundation unless expressly stated otherwise. For example, edits to articles or uploads of other media are done in my individual, personal capacity unless otherwise stated.
- Geiger, R.S., & Halfaker, A. (2013). When the Levee Breaks: Without Bots, What Happens to Wikipedia’s Quality Control Processes? WikiSym'13. (pdf)
- Halfaker, A., Keyes, O., & Taraborelli, D. (2013). Making peripheral participation legitimate: Reader engagement experiments in Wikipedia CSCW'13.
- Geiger, R. S. & Halfaker, A. (2013). Using Edit Session to Measure Participation in Wikipedia CSCW'13.
- Halfaker, A., Geiger, R. S., Morgan, J., & Riedl, J. (2013). The Rise and Decline of an Open Collaboration System: How Wikipedia's reaction to sudden popularity is causing its decline. American Behavioral Scientist.
- Geiger, R. S., Halfaker, A., Pinchuk, M., & Walling, S. (2012). Defense Mechanism or Socialization Tactic? Improving Wikipedia’s Notifications to Rejected Contributors. ICWSM’12.
- Halfaker, A., Kittur, A., & Riedl, J. (2011). Don't Bite the Newbies: How Reverts Affect the Quantity and Quality of Wikipedia Work, WikiSym’11. ACM.
- Halfaker, A., Song, B., Stuart, D. A., Kittur, A., & Riedl, J. (2011). NICE: Social translucence through UI intervention, WikiSym’11. ACM.
- Panciera, K., Halfaker, A., & Terveen, L. (2009). Wikipedians are born, not made: A study of power editors on Wikipedia, GROUP’09. ACM.
- Halfaker, A., Kittur, A., Kraut, R., & Riedl, J. (2009). A Jury of Your Peers: Quality, Experience and Ownership in Wikipedia, WikiSym’09. ACM.
- English Wikipedia newcomer quality over time (writeup, blog)
- Halfaker, A., Riedl, J. Bots & Cyborgs: Wikipedia's Immune System, 2011. IEEE Computing, 45(3), 79-82.
- WMF Summer of Research
- WMF contracting
- Other on-wiki research