"WMF", "us", "we", and "our" refer to the Wikimedia Foundation.
"Personal information" is information you provide us or information we collect from you that could be used to identify you. While we may not collect all of the following types of information, we consider the following to be "personal information" if it is otherwise nonpublic and can be used to identify you:
- Your real name, address, phone number, email address, password, identification number on government-issued ID, IP address, web browser user-agent information, credit or debit card number, bank account number and routing number, personal identification number in association with the relevant account; and
- When associated with one of the items in subsection (a), any sensitive data such as date of birth, gender, sexual orientation, racial or ethnic origins, marital or familial status, medical conditions or disabilities, political affiliation, and religion.
What This Policy Covers
What Information We Collect
As a result of your interaction with our donation pages, making a donation, participating in a survey or providing feedback related to donating, WMF may collect certain personal information, as defined above. We also may collect some non-personal information, such as:
- the web page that referred you to our donation pages
- the amount you donated
- which of our pages you request and visit
- the date and time of each request you make to our donation pages
- the name of your internet service provider
- comments and suggestions from you
- correspondence between you and WMF
- any other information you provide to us
We keep both personal and non-personal information confidential, meaning that we will not share this information outside of the Wikimedia Foundation except as permitted by this policy or in anonymized form.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- Help Wikimedia fundraising sites, such as donate.wikimedia.org function and deliver new and relevant content to you.
- Provide you with a personalized experience by storing your preferences so that they can be used the next time you visit a Wikimedia fundraising site, such as donate.wikimedia.org.
- Analyze the performance of donation processes so that we can better understand how they work and improve them for you and other WMF donors.
- Analyze interactions with fundraising emails so we can refine and improve the donation process.
Limiting Data Collection by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- Removing or disabling specific locally stored data on your browser's settings.
- Using a browser that can block-third party cookies.
- Installing a plugin to block locally stored data, if available.
Although donations to WMF via Wikimedia fundraising sites, such as donate.wikimedia.org, are possible without cookies and other locally stored data, please note that the removal or disabling of these features may affect your navigation of these sites.
Do Not Track
WMF is committed to protecting the information we collect from all of our donors. We do not share this information with third parties, except in the specific circumstances described in the "Sharing Donor Information" section of this policy. Because of this commitment to protect all donors, we do not change our behavior in response to a web browser's Do Not Track signal. For more information about DNT, please visit Do Not Track Us and the World Wide Web Consortium's Do Not Track Specification.
How We Use Donor Information
Here are some examples of how we use information collected from you. It allows us to:
- administer our donation pages
- test features
- customize content
- understand donors' interest in WMF
- thank donors for their donation
- improve our fundraising processes and efforts
- update you about upcoming fundraising and other WMF activities
- comply with U.S. tax requirements
- conduct internal analyses, such as research and analytics
- communicate substantive changes to this policy and related policies
- report to applicable government agencies as required by law
- engage in other purposes related to WMF's fundraising operations
- provide greater security
- set language preferences
- distribute donation receipts
- maintain our internal records
- conduct survey and metric reports
Accessing Your Donor Information
WMF works hard to accurately process and maintain donor information. If you would like to access, correct, or delete the personal information we have about you, or you would like to change your WMF communication preferences, you (or an authorized representative) can let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we will make reasonable efforts to comply with your request, there are certain situations where we will not grant your request (such as when we cannot adequately verify your identity to give you access to personal information, when we are legally required to retain information, or when we are not technologically able to change or delete information). Therefore, the granting of such requests remains at the sole discretion of WMF.
Sharing Donor Information
We understand that donors may wish to remain anonymous, and we strive to honor such requests and preserve your anonymity. However, in limited circumstances, we may share donor information in the situations and under the conditions described below. We will never sell, trade, or rent your nonpublic personal information.
With your permission. With your consent, we may share your information for a particular purpose. For example, we may give donors the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation.
In anonymized form. We may publish or share anonymized donor information. For example, we may share anonymized data sets to show donation trends.
Comments and suggestions. We may publish any comments or suggestions that donors provide us, including in promotional materials, in anonymous form. In the rare instance that we do publish such information with donor attribution, we will do so only with your written consent.
Online payment processors. In order to facilitate online donations, we have partnered with payment processors. When you make a donation to WMF online, whether by credit card, debit card, or other methods of online payment, these payment processors receive the information that you have provided as well as information they collect independent of WMF. We do our best to use contractual agreements and other mechanisms to help ensure that these processors treat your information consistent with, and in a manner no less protective than, the principles of this policy. However, please be aware that WMF is not responsible for the privacy practices of these processors; please consult the privacy policies of individual payment processors for more information about their practices.
Other service providers. We use third-party service providers or contractors who assist with the organization and facilitation of our fundraising programs, or who help run our donation pages or improve your experience with them. We may give access to your personal or non-personal information to these providers or contractors as needed to perform their services for us or to use their tools and services. While we cannot ensure the privacy or security of services provided by third-party providers, we do our best to use contractual agreements and other mechanisms to help ensure that these service providers or contractors treat your information consistent with, and in a manner no less protective than, the principles of this policy.
For legal reasons. On certain rare occasions, we may access, preserve, or disclose your personal information if we reasonably believe it is necessary to satisfy a valid and legally enforceable warrant, subpoena, court order, law or regulation, or other judicial or administrative order. If we believe that a particular request for disclosure of a donor's information is legally invalid or an abuse of the legal system, and the affected donor does not intend to oppose the disclosure themselves, we will do our best to fight the request. WMF is committed to notifying you via email at least ten (10) calendar days, when possible, before we disclose your personal information in response to a legal demand. However, we may only provide notice if we are not legally restrained from contacting you, there is no credible threat to life or limb that is created or increased by notifying you of the request, and you have provided us with an email address or other current contact information.
Nothing in this policy is intended to limit any legal objections or defenses you may have to a third party's request (whether it be civil, criminal, or governmental) to disclose your information. We recommend seeking the advice of legal counsel immediately if such a request is made involving you.
How We Protect Your Donor Information
To ensure a high level of security and confidentiality, WMF employs a variety of physical, administrative, and technical measures, policies, and procedures to help protect your personal and financial information from unauthorized access, use, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. However, you should be aware that no storage system or data transmission is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that our security protocols will not be compromised.
How Long We Keep Your Donor Information
Once we receive personal information from you, we keep it for the shortest possible interval that is consistent with the maintenance, understanding, and improvement of the WMF donation process, and our obligations under applicable U.S. law. Certain information may be retained indefinitely.
For information on Wikimedia's general data retention policies on the Wikimedia projects, please see our Data Retention Guidelines.
Wikimedia affiliates (such as chapters) are independent organizations, which sometimes conduct their own fundraising efforts. While some affiliates may give a portion of the funds they raise to WMF, WMF is not involved in processing donations made to these organizations. Wikimedia affiliates have different privacy policies and practices depending on local legal requirements and other considerations. While affiliates who participate in fundraising are generally expected to adhere to the principles set out in this policy, this policy does not explicitly cover donations made to them.
Governing Language and Law